Are you familiar with chiropractors? Have you been consulted by one? Are you planning to see one? The concept of Chiropractic has been around for over 2,500 years. It is only a little over a hundred years ago when modern chiropractic gained recognition. In fact, it is still one of the most misunderstood and misrepresented professions around.
Good spinal health through spinal adjustments is the goal of a chiropractor. Your general health and wellbeing are important, and chiropractors can help you achieve that. The third largest group of health practitioners are chiropractors. Each year, one out of ten people visit a chiropractor. With the growing reach and popularity of chiropractic care, more people are getting the help they need. Here are some facts that will help you get a more in-depth and better knowledge of the chiropractic profession:
Where the word “Chiropractic” came from
Chiropractic is made up of two Greek words:
- Cheir – means hand
- Praktos – means done
“Cheir” and “praktos,” when put together, mean “done by hand.”
Chiropractic in 1985
Chiropractic as a profession began in 1895. Daniel David Palmer is the founder who “adjusted” the spine of a deaf janitor and claimed to restore his hearing. Palmer claims to be the first to use specific contacts as short-leverage points for making more specific spinal “adjustments.”
Chiropractic is worldwide
The United States of America founded the chiropractic profession in 1985. Chiropractic is practiced and is famous all over the world, and its long history is rooted in China. Chiropractic is known in Canada, New Zealand, South Africa, Asia, Latin America, Europe, and Australia. Chiropractic is so popular that one in four adults in Australia seeks a chiropractor for help. Chiropractic is an alternative medicine that 40% of elderly Australians rely on.
Chiropractic safety record in Australia
Chiropractic care in Australia and around the world offers low-risk modality of health care. In the past 20 years, there were few if any serious adverse events reported in the medical literature. More than 12 million Australian visits chiropractors every year. Over 1 million or 8.6% of the annual visit are pediatric visits.
Australian chiropractic care is regulated
There are over 100 countries with legislation that recognizes and regulates the chiropractic practice, and this includes Australia. The Chiropractic Board of Australia regulates Australian chiropractors like all other registered health care practitioners. They must adhere to the National Law and profession specific codes of conduct and guidelines.
Uses of chiropractic care
- Chiropractic care is usually seen as a corrective way, but it is also preventive.
- Sportsmen and athletes use the help of chiropractic to boosting their performance, maintaining their wellness, and treating their musculoskeletal injuries and strains.
- The range of motion improvement is one of the aspects that chiropractors help athletes. Regular chiropractic care helps in the prevention of future injuries.
- Even infants benefit from chiropractic care. Chiropractors offer adjustments that are perfectly safe and suitable for the needs of patients of all ages.
- Chiropractors, on a daily basis, offer improved nervous system function to over one million patients all over the world with their adjustments.
Efficiency of chiropractic care
- There is a 28 times less likely chance to undergo a spinal surgery if an injured worker’s first point of contact is a chiropractor and not a surgeon.
- You will save 20% less in the treatment of your lower back pain if you see a chiropractor first than starting it with a medical doctor.
Chiropractic care is a widely-used, accepted and familiar practice for people all over the world. It is a profession that is continuously growing and reaching people to help. There are many other lesser-known facts about chiropractic. Getting familiar with the practice will enlighten your understanding and will help you in embracing the positives and benefits that it has to offer for your health.
Start your journey with chiropractic care and learn more about this helpful and cost-effective practice. Visit Purity Chiropractic for everything about chiropractic and how it can help you live a better and healthier life.